Saturday, October 1, 2011

Encourage milestones but, hold onto the memories.

  
“We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today” Stacia Tauscher

This week Ethan’s class was assigned a history project.  Each child was to create a timeline of their life; thus far. As soon as I read the outline, I was thrilled that it would require so much parental help. I enjoy doing arts and crafts with my boys, so this was right up my alley! I didn’t realize that it would allow me to take a stroll down memory lane and help me to appreciate the time I have NOW with my children even more.
                I am constantly encouraging the boys to reach new milestones, and sometimes that encouragement turns into “pushing”. When Ethan was a baby, I couldn’t wait for him to talk and take his first steps. When he was a toddler talking and running everywhere; I couldn’t wait for him to be a few years older so that I could finally relax a little instead of running after him and trying to prevent every little accident that might occur. Now that Ethan is in school, I find myself wondering how nice it will be when Parker starts school.  I spend so much time focusing on milestones and “age appropriate” skills that I often forget how much I miss cradling my tiny, helpless infants; while they stared up at me. I long for those sleepless nights when Ethan fell asleep on my chest and I could feel his heartbeat against mine. I strive for my children to have independence, but I would give a lot to hold those precious babies again.
                Children really do grow up so fast. I am appreciative of the milestones I can watch my children reach. I get to share the joy when they have accomplished something new. However, I am thankful for the time I have with them now. TODAY, they are happy and healthy. TODAY, they are someone special. TODAY, I will soak up the time we spend and the memories we make and pray that tomorrow will keep coming. Although, I look forward to seeing the men they will become; TODAY I am in love with the children they are!

1 comment: